Friday, December 16, 2011
. Improving my writing skills!
I have always thought about my writing style and in general, my grasp of English. (No not Johnny English the parody, the language! LOL)
You see, I have always been a fan of English for as long as I could speak. When I started learning how to write, my initial words were in English. Of course, it's hardly a surprise that I grew up in an English speaking environment. Not that my parents were scholars in linguistics or anything, but it just goes to show that, even Singlish helps in ensuring a child grows up speaking decent English!
Of course, I had many compatriots who spoke really good English. It also helped that I was hardly ever a fan of Asian entertainment culture, almost always gravitating towards music from the West and up north in Europe.
That being said, I would like to put a disclaimer here: I'm no ang-moh trapped in an Asian body. No. As much as I don't use much Chinese anymore these days, I still feel comfortable (somewhat) conversing in it and I most certainly admire the complexity and beauty of Mandarin.
Just don't ask me to read or write anything in Mandarin. I'd rather do eye surgery (it's easier).
So, back to my original point about my writing.
I noticed, I have always been a simplistic writer.
I don't have a very vast lexicon. I know some people who know mountain loads of words and can throw them about like a minigun sprays bullets.
Then there are those like me, the sniper type. Big words appear every blue moon, and when it does, there's an impact.
I'm trying to improve my in-built thesaurus. It's not easy.
I see myself as the descriptive kind of writer. Not a lot of big words, but quite a truckload full of puns and analogies and long paragraphs to make you imagine the scene in your mind. Like a helium balloon full of air, tied firmly to your right wrist. The wind tugs away at it, away from you. It's my goal to have my writing invoke worlds and universes in people's minds, where each and every world is similar, yet unique and different contemporaneously.
I want to fill the balloons up with big words.
Uncommonly used words just seems to make everything seem that wee bit more interesting.
It also warrants some thinking to compliment the imagination.
It makes my articles, my posts all the more professional.
It's something I must do, commencing from now!
- this theoretic realization... 10:15 AM
------